Thursday 9 July 2009

A ball gown fit for a bump


Normally an invite to a swanky black tie masquerade ball would be so exciting that I'd barely be able to sleep. But being so heavily pregnant I was dreading it. What to wear with such a big bump? And black tie means to the ground. The lovely Louise Amstrup offered me a beautiful black dress with a beaded bodice. But sadly it didn't fit the belly.

However I did manage to find some silk I'd stashed probably about 10 years ago waiting for the right pattern. So Saturday I did some manic sewing. Thankfully I did manage to get it completely finished and pressed with a couple of hours to spare. It was actually a very simple bump friendly and colourful dress just as I'd envisaged.

The event was a 40th birthday party for the wife of an ex-colleague of my man. I'd actually never met the wife. It's very odd going to a party not knowing the birthday girl. And I didn't even meet her on the night.What a party! Most weddings are not this extravagant. Held at the V&A Museum the surroundings were just beautiful. It had a Venetian theme, hence the masks. I'd bought ours online and hoped that it matched my dress - luckily it did perfectly.

Back to the party. There was a string quartet on gondola in the middle of the lake in the garden. After we moved inside past the sculpture gallery there was a live band. The daughters aged 13 and 10 sang a beautiful song from Hairspray where they had adapted the words for their mother. They were incredible! Such confidence. I had tears in my eyes. Following the band were opera singers. Other entertainment included massages, makeup sessions, an ice cream stand (see picture above!) and a photo booth.

I'd actually managed to slip my feet into these Gil Carvalho 4 inch heels for the occasion. While the shoes were very comfortable for my feet, it was my legs that had the problem. My legs held up quite well until about 11pm. By then I was ready to limp to the car and go home to my lovely soft bed. You can imagine the relief when I took off my shoes and walked on flat ground. Bliss! But beauty means suffering, even when pregnant!

4 comments:

Julian said...

Seriously impressed. There is something appropriately dangerously Shakespearian/Viennese about being masked, pregnant and plotting. It ticks so many cross-era/cross-cultural boxes.

Unfortunately you look too happy.

Is your website redesign going well?

J

Nicole said...

Of course I'm happy - I'm eating choc mint ice cream with chocolate sauce from the ice cream stand behind me. Yummy!

It was rather inappropriate being masked. I couldn't get Eyes Wide Shut out of my head.

roxy B said...

That is beautiful pink dress!
http://www.twolia.com/shop

Mens casual jackets said...

What a fabulous outfit! Especially loving the head gear! gorgeous!