Monday 19 November 2007

The bag saga and diamonds do get smaller

Thanks for all your comments about my bag woes. I decided to take your advice and keep trying it for a little white and see if I get used to it. Wendyb, you're quite right, diamonds do get smaller as you wear them!

Speaking of which, I went shopping for a "push present" with the man over the weekend (although a friend says that because I'm not technically pushing I don't deserve one. The cheek! I'm carrying this baby!). I'm not married or engaged so the man really has saved ££ with me! I didn't want to go for the big name jewellers but I wanted to get some ideas. I want a ring that I can wear with everything so not white gold, not gold, not a coloured ring but something really neutral, big and yet classic.

First stop was Tiffany's which was heaving with tourists and women in tracksuits and Uggs. I didn't find a ring I liked there except up the back in the $90k plus range. But still the bands were so thin that they'd wear through with my heavy wear. I can't believe how over-hyped it is.

Next stop was Cartier. I didn't like any of the regular engagement rings. They were all to regular and I'm not after an engagement ring anyway, more of a friendship ring. So we went out the back to the special rings. Finally I found one I liked and tried it on. It was a decent size, a 4 carat emerald cut in the middle with a 3 carat emerald cut on either side. It actually looked quite small to me after the huge statement rings I normally wear. The price tag was laughable - $480,000!! My poor man nearly keeled over with fright. He made it clear that I would not be getting that and nearly pulled it off my finger and threw it at the salesman.

Well, I'm still ringless and I'm not sure I'll find the perfect ring. But at least I've got a beautiful bright orange handbag!

3 comments:

Queen of Preen said...

I love that orange bag! Great post.

Anonymous said...

I know this post is several years' old but the solution - now you are living in London is the Goldsmith's Hall exhibition (two weeks in about October). Excellent prices all sold direct by the artisan goldsmiths (very few brands are admitted). The aesthetic of the fair is very Britique.

We bought some silver bangely things last year and the quality of British silver and goldsmithing (with gems or woodwork where required) is beyond anything in the shops.

This year we are saving money especially.

Julian said...

Ha! I knew that this post existed somewhere in the blog universe.

Anyway, the Goldsmith's Guild Hall exhibition is coming up at the end of this month. The stuff on display is all for sale and it is as good as it gets - and it is not especially targeted at conventional taste - far more Britique than Topshop.

http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/events/goldsmithsfair.php