Saturday 3 November 2007

As I mentioned, I got the bag I was in love with. Until yesterday I hadn't had a chance to wear my bag (do you wear or use a bag? hmmm). Friday I had an Italian cooking class so it was the first outing with this bright orange bag. I wore it with jeans, black top, orange and black print scarf, black coat and black loafers.

It's the first time I've worn an "It" bag or big name designer bag before and it was an interesting experience. My friends commented on the bag first then a couple of ladies in the class also made comments. The worst part though was catching the subway home. It was peak hour and so many people just looked at the bag. I turned it around so people wouldn't see the "Chloe" symbol but girls just kept looking at it. I felt really conspicuous as if I was walking around with $XXX in my hand asking for it to be stolen.

The seats of the subway are really tightly crammed but I couldn't put it on the floor for fear it would get dirty or damaged and if I held it on my lap (or what I now have left of a lap) it just sat there virtually covering me. I didn't feel comfortable. It was all just too much work. As a result I put it on eBay. I'll stick with my Alessandra Ferreira "London Computer" bag. It's big, it's beautiful and it's not precious.

5 comments:

WendyB said...

Oh, hon, you would have gotten used to it!!! Whenever you first have something new that costs real money you're all terrified and treat it like a precious object but then you adjust and just act normally (though I wouldn't recommend putting anything besides a shopping bag on a skanky subway or bar floor). As I always say, diamonds shrink with wear. Everyone thinks theirs is huge at first, but give someone a few months and she'll realize she should have gone bigger.

Anonymous said...

Awww,godammit! I sort of agree with wendyb, but I understand your feelings. It's hard enough to ride the subway.

I hope you will fall in love with a handbag that has no visible designer logo, or at least an obscure one. Maybe people won't ogle it as much?

And I hope you get most of your $$ back.

WendyB said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Trust me. The bag will "get smaller" and less precious. I find a lot of people, as they mature (and I'm older than you so I can say this), start shopping for more special things at higher pricepoints. It is an adjustment and I totally know what you're feeling! But you eventually stop feeling like you are carrying around the Mona Lisa and start enjoying having something lovely. Who cares if people look (most likely with longing)? From your blog, I don't get the impression you are meant to be a wallflower. (BTW, with each new jewelry design, I STILL have a moment of "OMG!! I can't!!!" I've learned to disregard that thought.)
;-)
Enjoy your bag.

Mónica said...

Oh, please! don't sell it! you have to give it another chance! I can understand it must be difficult feeling observed, but anyway, is YOUR bag, and soon you will get used to it and you won't feel anxious about it

Flashy_Shades said...

i actually just got sad that it didn't work out for you. but when something's not you, its just not you.