Wednesday 28 November 2007

Getting knitty witty

When I moved to the US the hardest part was saying goodbye to my sewing machines. Nothing soothes me more than whipping up a new outfit. Since we're only in the US for about 2-3 years, there's no point buying new machines. So I needed another creative outlet. Knitting seems like the perfect option - it requires very little equipment, is transportable and is creative.

So I searched for courses and found some fab ones on weekends at The Point Knitting Cafe. Now I forgot that I had actually learned to knit years ago from my mother and grandma. But as soon as I got into the class I started knitting! I think the other students thought I was being a right smart arse. But it just came back to me. Straight away I was hooked (haha). I bought some wool and a pattern and spent the rest of the weekend knitting a beanie for my man. It's modelled here by my lovely little friend Nicolas who stayed with me for a few days.

It's got a lot of mistakes, but it was an amazing feeling to actually create something again. The man was so excited that I made him something. He said it was the best present ever and wears it all the time.

Now I'm planning my next projects inspired by some incredible knitting blogs (oh yes, there are thousands!) such as brooklyntweed, the brown sheep and dyelicious addictions. Dyelicious is actually written by a friend from high school who I've become reacquainted with thanks to Facebook. Now she's helping me out very patiently with my multitude of knitting questions! More pictures and projects to come.

No comments: