Tuesday 10 March 2009

The latest in London youth trends

London Fashion Weekend is over. After a gruelling 5 days I slept most of Monday and wouldn't mind a little kip now too!

After moving back to London from New York a mere 3 weeks ago, LFW'end was the first time I've been immersed in London Fashion. And what an eye opener. The girls in the East Village are tame compared to London girls.

LFW'end really was an eye opener as far as trends. There were so many young girls in attendance - we're talking 16-22 - and they're just so fashion forward. I'd like to say imaginative too but while it was, they mostly all stuck my rules.

The first thing I noticed is that skirts are short. And I mean SHORT!! Bum skimming. This fact didn't escape the security guards at the show either. They really thought they were in heaven. Many girls weren't even wearing skirts or dresses, just tops that barely covered their bum and semi opaque tights. Even girls who didn't have the legs have embraced this trend. I saw a couple bend over and yes, I saw everything! Should we blame Sienna Miller for this?


Source: Stylebakery

The second thing I noticed was the hair styles. This is one area that there was not much of a deviation from the trend. That trend seems to be an evolution of the bed head and side party which is now lightly teased with an exaggerated side part that is swept right across the forehead.




Source: Stylescout

While I appreciate the power of a trend, many of these young girls should really take a look in the mirror and decide if these bum skimming tops/skirts and forehead covering styles really suit them. Perhaps they could modify the trend and wear what actually suits them.

That said, I've unplugged my GHDs, teased up the roots of my hair and will test drive the full side part today. It's not a far cry from my usual and it will be interesting to see the looks I get - although I am pushing a pram, hardly a style accessory of the 16-22s!

3 comments:

Sister Wolf said...

Can we blame Gwyneth for the short skirts? Also, when can we see your hair??

Nicole said...

Ahhh my hair?? It's really not worth posting. It's at a tween length after getting a longish bob last summer and it's a horrible orangish tinged mousy colour - called pregnant so can't colour my hair!

Once I have baby two I'll go back to blonde.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've read some of your post here. And found it interesting to read and understand. Although there were relative ideas i found. This post is really good. Thanks for the info.

fashion