Thursday 19 March 2009

Sometimes beauty does not mean suffering

As a mad snowboarder the death of anyone while skiing or boarding really shakes me. But the death of Natasha Richardson is especially shocking. It's not just because she's a young mother but because these types of injuries can be avoided by wearing a helmet.

In 2000 when I was learning to snowboard I took an especially nasty fall. It really shook me and I could see stars for days and had a sore spot on the back of my head for months after. After the initial panic attack wore off I went to the nearest ski store and bought a helmet.

At that time in our little ski resort of Fieberbrunn I was the only adult wearing a helmet. I did not care how silly I looked, I just knew that I needed protection.

Now more and more adults are wearing helmets. In January I noticed that in Fieberbrunn more people were wearing helmets than not and Snowbird was the same.

In the same way that the terminal illness of Jade Goody has increased the number of women seeking pap tests, I hope that the tragic death of Natasha Richardson will encourage you all to forsake beauty and wear a helmet on the slopes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hear hear, good words lady. i too had a a fall which could have been bad and it scared me into buying a helmet which is a very good investment.