Saturday 20 January 2007

Personal style dilemmas



Seeing these normally well dressed women in the most recent InStyle magazine (UK version, Feb 07) brought home the importance of defining your personal style. InStyle seemed to think that Jemima, Sienna and Mischa all looked good in these outfits, but I think they're not being true to their style and as a result look wrong. Jemima in generally elegant and sleek but she looks completely wrong in this Wheels & Dollbaby dress which would look great on a Hoxtonite type with a blunt fringe. Ditto for the other two.

But personal style is really difficult to define. I'm going through this dilemma right now. When I worked in corporate offices of a large fund manager in Belgravia I worked that look well with elegant suits, pencil skirts, pussycat bows and very high heels. Now I work in East London in fashion, wear ballet pumps and jeans everyday and I'm completely lost. The suits have long ago been sold on ebay, and now I just don't know what to wear - despite having some of the most beautiful clothes hanging around me (although I guess I should sell them and not keep them all for myself...).

My old boot cut deniums look very out of place during my coffee break and meetings at Coffee@ but I'm a bit too well thighed for skinnies. The main problem is that I haven't given myself time to really think about my personal, now more casual style and what it is I want to wear that fits in with my new life and most importantly, looks good. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I'll welcome any help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you invest in Chloe smock dresses immediately! A casual outfit need not comprise of jeans. Loose smocks over footless tights (if you are so inclined) or woolly tights will see you look casual and fresh but still maintain your smart edge. Platform wedges are also a must - easy to walk in and come in all heights and are much more flattering than ballet flats. You'll look smashing!