Monday 4 June 2007

Brittique expands to New York

It is amazing where life takes you if you run with it. Just two days ago I was in London running Brittique, packing orders, finalising my autumn/winter 07 orders, organising events and assisting customers. As from 2 June I'm sitting in Manhattan working on expanding Brittique across the pond and promoting British designers throughout North America.

Today is the end of my second day in New York City. While it is another English speaking city, it is so different to London.

My first impression was that the fashion is much more casual. 2 June was sunny and humid and it seems that strapless ruched tops and dresses over denim skirts or jeans and flip flops were the uniform. But maybe that's due to the area I'm staying - East Village and the Union Square area is full of students. When I start exploring Midtown I'm sure it will be more conservative and formal in style, especially during business hours.

A visit to Whole Foods Market had me wide eyed with amazement at the variety of food options. The biggest and best fruit and veg I've seen plus about 10 options for each food type. I spent about 45 minutes walking through and felt like I'd just arrived from a Soviet country on food rations. I can't wait to try all the flavours of Ben & Jerry's!

No comments: