Thursday 14 June 2007

A tale of two firsts

Today I experienced two firsts in NYC – my first sample sale and my first vintage shopping trip.

I experienced firsthand the marketing power of DailyCandy.com. I hit the Botkier sample sale with an advertised start time of 11:00 at 11:23. Already the queue was around the block. After 49 minutes of waiting in line I was allowed to enter a busy but sparsely-bagged showroom. Apparently they were going to bring out more bags at 3:00. I felt a little ripped off after spending nearly an hour queuing.

Disappointed by the bags I decided to go to a couple of vintage shops nearby. My visions of $35 dresses as dashed to pieces. The dresses were more expensive than many designer ones! We’re talking multi 3 digit dollars. That said, every one was in mint condition. For the first time my bust was too big for a few dresses. Those vintage dresses are really small! I believe what I read about breast sizes increasing over the decades.

But I didn’t come home empty handed. Stopping by Legacy, I met the lovely owner Rita and got chatting about flea markets in Paris. Maybe it was her delightfulness that convinced me to buy this fantastic dress. It fits perfectly and is truly so beautiful! I can’t stop wearing it.

1 comment:

Tamar said...

that dress is GORGEOUS!!!!!

and yes, sample sales are often distressing.