Monday 27 October 2008

Not so coiffured in NYC

Today I tried to pull myself from the grey/black rut I'm in wore my new plaid, flannel, ruffle top by Ivy with a black Amanda Wakeley pencil skirt, vintage shoes stolen from my mother and black waist belt by Mardelle de Caille.

As you can see I don't have time to do my hair. I'm lucky to introduce my hair to a brush once a week. On occasions I get out the GHD's (love love love them) but most of the time it's the bed head slept in look.

New York women always surprise me with how coiffured they are. Where do they find the time to style their hair? Who has a spare 30mins each morning? It's even more apparent when you go to the Upper East side. This is where you find the typical twinset-with-pearls-lady-who-lunches type wearing a Chanel jacket, pearls, of course, boot leg jeans and a sensible shoe from Tods or maybe a sturdy heel. The hair is immaculate the nails are shiny and the look is one of careful consideration.

This morning I had an appointment on the Upper East Side and felt strangely "under dressed" despite my pencil skirt and heels. I just wasn't put together enough and looked like a fish out of water. But then I spied a girl waiting at the lights who looked as out of zone as me. She had the same bed head hair, although platinum blonde, leggings with big Belstaff boots and a black cocoon coat. She looked fab. As I got closer I heard her talking on her "cell" - she was British! Of course she was.

No comments: