Wednesday 12 September 2007

The battle of the Brits

As a homesick Brit (by adoption from Australia) I miss newspapers almost more than London's clean restaurants. Even the most high brow of broadsheets seems like The Sun compared to The Times. And don't get me started on US Vogue... a larger UK Glamour? I think so.

But then I discovered the New York Magazine and The New Yorker. Fabulous publications that manage to be intelligent, gripping and educational all at once. When I eventually move back to London, I won't be giving up my subscriptions to either publications.

Today I read the Lisa Armstrong article "The Brits are coming, so let the battle commence" about how designers tend to become rather Americanised when they show at NY fashion week starting with the teeth. She then continues that NYFW is pretty much a week of the same with only a few stand outs and you need to come to London for originality.

Normally I would agree wholeheartedly with Lisa, and tend to think of American fashion as quite samey. But then I saw the picture here of Nadia Livingstone shop girl from jeweller Alexis Bittar from the NYmag's "Ask A Shop Clerk". Although on the skinny side (let's assume that it's natural) she looks incredible. I love the way she's teamed the patterned leggings, which sit a the perfect length on her calves, with the tight body-con dress and large belt. The shoes and jewellery all add to the inspired outfit. This one picture makes me actually want to stand up and say that there are pockets of ingenuity in New York, you just have to know where to find them.

No comments: