Monday 10 September 2007

Tribute to Anita Roddick

Anita Roddick is one of the most influential business people of our decade and someone I have long admired. It's very sad that she passed away today from a brain hemorrhage probably caused by Hepatitis C.

Only a couple of months ago I was due to meet with her for a business mentoring session. She has selected Brittique.com as an ethical business and wanted to meet me. It was a huge honour but unfortunately I could not go because I had just moved to New York. A friend and founder of Devi Doll, Sindhu, went in my place. She was gushing about the strength and passion that just flowed from Anita. I deeply regret that I could not meet her.

I'm currently reading her book Business As Unusual. Her business views really are unusual and I also hope that these can be reflected in Brittique. While she was in the business of beauty and cosmetics, she used The Body Shop as a platform to lobby fearlessly against the "big guys" and raise awareness for causes. The book is a brilliant read and I recommend it for everyone in business.

The death of Anita Roddick has left a huge void in the international business world and I hope someone can step up to the role.

No comments: