Sunday 30 December 2007

Ugly Shoes - are you guilty?

Source: New York Magazine

While catching up on the ever growing pile of The New York Magazine and New Yorker waiting patiently by my bed, I saw this very clever history of ugly shoes. So how many of these are you guilty of - or still guilty of?

*Clearly* I'm far too young for the Klompen Dansko and Earth Shoes, but my misdemeanor start at the Doc Martens - or the pretend ones I had. While going through my goth/hippy stage at about age 14 I longed for the real deal to match with my op-shop (charity shop for the non-Aussies) ground brushing shirts and ripped woolen jumpers. But the price tag exceeded my part-time casual McDonald's pay cheque. However, I have to disagree with the ugly tag here. I actually think they can look really nice. If I had some I'd like to wear them with a Peter Jensen white shirt dress, thick grey woollen, ribbed tights and the Tata-Naka chunky cardigan.


Another shoe I disagree with is Birkenstocks. How wonderful are they? I know my German in-laws cringe when I wear them but they are the most comfortable and practical shoe. They look nicer than a thong/flip flops and now come in so many different styles, even with crystals and designed by a certain supermodel if that's your thing.


Uggs I completely agree. They are UGLY! As an Aussie I really can't get it. I did own a pair while at boarding school because they were the best thing to walk from the dorm to the cafeteria of a cold morning. Then I also have a pair that I wore while travelling and snowboarding around Canada a couple of years ago. Perfect to wear in the car and quickly slip off into my snowboard boots.

As for Crocs, HIDEOUS! I don't care what you say. Only kiddies under 8 look cute in them after that they're just horrible. And seeing grown men wear them with shorts is too much. I also hear that they get rather smelly rather quickly...

I'm surprised Converse boots are not listed. While I love and live in mine, when you think about it, they're a very long narrow canvas shoe where the white gets really dirty and when worn with skinny jeans make people look like they're walking around with two canoes strapped to their feet. Attractive. But somehow they do work. Just to be safe though I only wear them with wider leg jeans.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I try not to wear ugly shoes, and my feet are always cold/ cramped. But it's worth it!

Anonymous said...

Maybe ugly for some but not for others.