Saturday 10 February 2007

Directional fashion leaves men cold

I had a little chuckle when I read the article in the March UK Vogue by Alex Bilmes "What's sexy now? Directional buys may impress your stylish girlfriends, but be warned - they may leave most men cold". How true is this!

Last weekend I put on my new sack dress with some bright red tights and black wedges ready to go into the bf's office with him. He looked me up and down in astonishment and said "are you really leaving the house like that?" I laughed and said yes, of course. He then agreed that working in fashion now means that I do need to be more directional with my style. But I could tell he really didn't like it. So back into the bedroom I went and put on some jeans - the safe option!

The Vogue article goes through a number of trends men don't get including chunky platform shoes, cocoon shape dresses and the adroid look. Men are missing the point though. As Alex points out that when we wear more directional fashion we're not actually dressing for them, sorry, we're dressing for ourselves. And what's more, it feels great when you can pull off an up to the minute style. That said, I like to add my own touches so it doesn't look like I am a complete slave to fashion or have spent hours delibarating before stepping out.

No comments: