Tuesday 13 February 2007

Let the shows begin!


Day two of LFW was actually day 1 for me since I couldn't make it yesterday. First up was a buying appointment with the lovely Kay at Camilla Staerk. Their collection was mostly black with hints of gold, maroon (that designer Roger sweetly calls pink) and some light grey in the shoes.

For me the CS shoes have been a real sales hit and for AW07 it's going to be the same. They have these lovely, slouchy boots that are grey seude and black patent leather that are simply devine. The clothes feature lovely relaxed dresses in cashmere jersey as well as a beautiful cotton velvet that was made up in high waisted trousers and pencil skirts. I'll be buying lots of those in both gold and black.

Next up was an appointment with the always wonderful Hannah Marshall (pictured above) to view her launch collection. Being a friend as well as a buyer, it was going to be tricky if I didn't like her collection. But I needn't have worried about that! Hannah didn't disappoint and her debut collection "Quiet Noise" was stunning. I'm in love with the chiffon topped dress shown here with the Italian jersey skirt. Her panelling was stuning and use of leather with jersey and chiffon just beautiful. I'm already looking forward to stocking this collection.

Next up I had a buying appointment with Louise Amstrup. Her SS07 collection (due to Brittique early March) has already caused a stir with Susie Bubble a huge fan. Her attention to detail and exceptional panelling in the tailoring is wonderful. This season I was not let down.


Inspiration came from a fan and every garment had fan shaped panels and details. My top pick is this all in one jumpsuit with the fan shaped belt. Fabulous!! She made it very difficult for me to stick to my budget...


Then I attended my first show for the season, Bërubë. It was quite outdoorsy with the models wearing hiking boots that had been rubbed in the dirt to make them look used. It was a completely grey collection (so don't go throwing away grey anytime soon!) with sequins and pom poms galore.


I do find it quite hard as a buyer to see the individual pieces when they are so styled and use the shows to see the inspiration and the designer's vision behind the collection and then at the buying appointment see the pieces individually.


Before Bërubë I met the hugely popular fashion blogger Susie Bubble. She is even nicer in real life than she sounds on her blog. After the show we made a dash for the Ann-Sofie Back show at the Top Shop venue in Covent Garden. Well what a debarcle. Now for my rant of the day...

For some reason I hardly received any tickets to shows this year. When I rang my designers or their buying agents I was told that I was definately on the list but the PRs hadn't posted them. Yeah right! These designers forget that without buyers they wouldn't have any money! So I was left to beg and blag my way into shows when I have buying appointments to view the collection. I mean, I'm good enough to buy their collections but in the fashion heirachy I'm not good enough to attend their shows??? And to the designer (who will remain nameless for now) who sent me a standing ticket - don't insult me! How can I see the collection standing? Well maybe I'd have a better view because this is the view I had a Ann-Sofie Back. Hmmm lovely!

I was (apparently) invited to Maris Schwab but didn't receive tickets either, so after the complete caos at Ann-Sofie Back, I didn't have the energy to even try to get in. It's not worth it when I can get home, make a cup of tea and sit back and view the collection online at style.com a day later.
The Ann-Sofie Back show didn't inspire me. I appreciate her use of industrial products like rucksack straps and seatbelts, but there wasn't a single finished piece in the collection. I'll wait for the buying appointment to see if I'll add her to Brittique.

Susie and I made another mad dash for Osman Yousefzada's show which was held on the top floor of the carpark at Selfridges. We managed to just catch the last bit which is a real shame. It looked really stunning and the hot pink dress was beautiful. Again, I'll have to wait for the buying appointment to see the full collection.

The plan was to see Aimee McWilliam's show next, but unfortunately we were too late. It's a real shame because I love Aimee's work and it was one of my must-sees for the season. But with such tight scheduling and the cross over between the main shows and the On/Off shows it's impossible to make them all. Exhausted and despondant about the ticket situation I walked through the rain home scoffing a Pret sandwich and callopased in bed at 9 ready to face day 3.

No comments: